first Shiloh was on the west edge of the Irish Settlement.They began
holding religious services in a log church in 1817.This log Cumberland
Presbyterian Church was one-quarter mile southwest of the present
Hillsboro Cemetery. Church services and campgrounds were at
this site until 1839 when Shiloh moved to its present site. This
location is about a mile and a half southeast of Ireland and two
and one half miles west of Jasper. Click
here for directions and map. Camp
meetings and religious services continued. Here a new set of log
camps was built. With the exception of the camp of Robert
Dickson, all camps were but one story. Dickson's camp was
a two story building, which stood at the southeast corner of the
four rows of camp buildings. Among others having camps were:
Thomas Payne, James Stewart, Madison Armstrong, David Anderson,
Andrew Anderson, John Shandy, Andrew Morgan, Andrew Kelso, Louis
Green, Samuel Dillin, Sr., Mordecia Hopkins and many others.
Among the ministers who conducted the meetings
at the two campgrounds were Reverends William Harris, Alexander
Chapman, John Barnett, William Barnett, Finis Ewing, Dr. James Johnson,
John M. Berry, Aaron Shelby, David Lowry, Henry Delaney, Hiram Hunter,
William Lynn, Thomas Porter, William Long, Alexander Downey and
James Ritchey, Sr.
The camp meetings, as they were known in the
early days, came to an end when the 1849 Shiloh Meeting House was
erected. James Stewart was head carpenter for the building
of the meeting house. All the lumber was sawed by water power,
but the weather boarding and the finishing lumber was hand planed.
At the time it was built and for many years afterwards, Shiloh was
known as one of the finest country churches in the southern part
of the state.
The name Shiloh is a Hebrew word meaning "a
quiet place". It is found frequently in the Bible and
is a favorite church name among all denominations.
Church Services were held on the first Sunday
of the month. Reverand A.J. Strain served as the first minister
of Shiloh. He served for 26 years. During his tenure, the Shiloh
Cemetery was begun. Rev. E. E. Banta (Bonta) was also one of the
early ministers. The first burial was that of Miss Minerva
Edmondson in 1860. Carter Reynolds, March 28, 1861, was the
second burial. Jane Stewart, who died April 3, 1861, was buried
in the third grave. The first soldiers to be buried at Shiloh
were Madison and Ashier Greene, sons of Thomas and Eliza Greene.
Madison and Ashier died during the Civil War. They died in
the battle of Shiloh in Corinth, Mississippi. They were brought
back and buried in the same grave. A list of all known burials
in the cemetery is on this website.
The first hearse seen in Ireland was used for
the funeral of Joanna Dillin in 1868. Prior to the year 1888, all
burials were made in wood coffins. At that time, Isaac Alexander,
Ireland undertaker, brought two metal caskets to his establishment.
The first person buried at Shiloh in such a casket was Mrs. Phillip
(Sadie) Wineinger in 1889.
Rev. A. J. Strain served as many as 10
churches in the area. His means of transportation was his
horse. During a week of many rains, he became sick. Rev. Strain
developed double pneumonia. He died on February 2, 1873.
It is documented in the Jasper Courier, that over 1500 people attended
the funeral. The people met in Ireland and followed the procession
to Shiloh where he was buried. It is believed Rev. Strain's
influence in educational and religious circles was probably greater
than that of any other pioneer in Dubois County. The rural graveyards
of indiana are full of the honest, sincere, truthful, loving, God
fearing pioneers. They were indeed the salt of the earth.
The remains of many of the most prominent pioneer families associated
with Jasper and the Irish Settlement are at rest at Shiloh.
It is the sacred duty of the present and of the future generations
to improve, preserve and beautify this hallowed spot. These
pioneers leave with us the lesson that it is not necessary for people
to live in marble halls and speak a language of perfection to have
richness of character and hearts that are warm and true.
With the passing of Rev. Strain came the
passing of regular services at Shiloh. Services continured
to be held at Shiloh more or less regularly until September of 1885.
The congregation had built a new Presbyterian church in the town
With the congregation moving to Ireland, the cemetery and
building did not receive the attention it deserved. It was
not until September of 1927, that this problem was resolved. It
was then that the official name of The Shiloh Cemetery Association
of Ireland, Indiana, Inc. was given and the association was formed.
The association was and still is comprised of a board of directors
and a slate of officers. The board set out to beautify and
restore the meeting house and cemetery. The cemetery has
been maintained throughout the years and remains in excellent shape.
In the Shiloh bylaws it states that the cemetery is open at all
times for the burial of the dead, irrespective, of faith, sect or
denomination, for the use and benefit of the general public.
Shiloh is a public cemetery and may be used by all beliefs and denominations. Also, if you wish to have a "Pioneer Wedding" at the 1849 Shiloh Meeting House, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to get the details or for any other questions about the cemetery.
The first board of directors included:
Earl Stewart, President, Theodore Glezen, Vice-President and Dr.
Eugene Norman, Secretary/Treasurer. These gentlemen were elected
on January 2, 1928. They voted to meet the first Tuesday night
of each month at 7:30pm at the law office of Horace M. Kean in Jasper,
Indiana. After meeting for 6 straight months, it was found that
the board had progressed the restoration of the church and grounds
sufficently that the board voted to meet twice a year or upon call
by the President.
Since the beginning of Shiloh in 1817,
Shiloh has held an annual event to honor the dead and especially
the veterans. During the second meeting of the board, it
was decided to continue an annual Gathering on Memorial Day.
This tradition holds true yet today. Presently, the secretary sends
out over 400 letters to 29 states giving notice each year of the
annual event. The Gatherings draw about 130 persons each year.
The event is held on the Memorial Day week-end Sunday at the Shiloh
Meeting House. The event begins at 1 pm EDT. with a one hour
program. Desserts are served following the program, please
bring your own drinks. If you wish to remember Shiloh
with a donation: please send it to, Shiloh, 7154W-150N, Jasper,
IN 47546-8957. Also, please tell other interested "Friends
of Shiloh" about this website. If you are interested in having
an annual newsletter, please e-mail email@example.com
and we'll put you on the mailing list.
Shiloh 2016: On May 29, 2016, Shiloh had its 199th annual meeting at 1:30 pm EDT. The Gathering has an Irish Seanchai (Shauna-T) as their guest speaker, direct from Ireland. The music was led by Scott Himsel. The meeting was slanted somewhat on Ireland Indiana's Bicentennial celebrationthat was from August 26-28 in Ireland Indiana. A "a dessert festival" was held after the meeting. The public was invited.
Shiloh 2015; On May 24, 2015 at 1:00 pm EDT, Shiloh had its 198th annual meeting. The meeting we had asour guest speaker Rev. Larry Van Camp. Rev. Larry is the minister of the local Shiloh United Methodist Church. The music was provided by Shiloh. Courtney Hebbrer, the church choir director, is in charge of the music. A Dessert Festival was held after the meeting.
Shiloh 2013: On May 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm EDT, Shiloh had its 196th annual meeting. The meeting featured The Red Bank ReUnion Band of Evansville, Indiana. The band features mid 1800s music using authentic music and Civil War period instruments. The band is the only band of its type in Indiana A Dessert Festival was held immeadiately after the meeting.
Shiloh 2012: On May 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm
EDT, Shiloh had its 195th annual meeting since it began.
Musical and singing entertainment was provided by the
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Folk Choir from Vincenness,
Indiana who performed its talents for us. Also 99 year and 11 month old Ariel Green told of her childhood days while being raised in the rural Ireland
area. A special recognition to the Rose family was noted.
Ariel is a member of the Clan Rose which originates in Scotland.
More Clan Rose members were also present. A Dessert Festival was held
after the meeting.
Shiloh 2011: On May 29, 2011 Shiloh had
its annual Gathering at the Shiloh Meeting House beginning at 1PM
EDT. The Gathering had music provided by "Roger Craig
and Friends" from the Otwell area. The program was conducted
by the Marine Corps League, " Southern Indiana Leathernecks",
detachment #931. This fine military group told the history
of this group, go to: www.sildmarines.com or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
for some of the history and events of this group. Another
feature of the group was their color guard who will help dedicate
our Military and Public Service Memorial Stone. Also a Bag-Piper
was present playing Taps. Steve Lindauer is the organizations
Public Affairs Officer. We also had our Dessert Festival after
May 30, 2010, Shiloh had their annual Gathering
in honor of the veterans and those who have go on before.
This was the 193rd. year in which a meeting has been held at Shiloh.
The Gathering was at the Shiloh Meeting House beginning at
1pm EDT. The program featured THE CELEBRATION SINGERS.
The singers were the idea of Larry Feldmeyer of Huntingburg.
The group is from Pike, Spencer and Dubois Counties and was formed
in 2002. There are more than 70 singers in the group. Over
150 people came to enjoy the program they presened .
The 2009 program contents were as follows. We
had an excellent speaker on the life and times of Abraham Linclon.
Scott Himsel, an attorney for Baker/Daniels of Indianapolis and
a Law Professor at Wabash College, gave his version of the
life and times of Abraham Linclon. In this Shiloh celebrated
the 200th birthday of Linclon. Also we celebrated and recognized
Ariel Green (97 years old) who had her 80 yr class reunion.
Ariel, who is the oldest living Ireland High School graduate, graduated
in 1929. "The
Irish Couple", Anita and Dwayne Murphy provided musical entertainment
for the day.
In 2009, 45 various trees were
planted at Shiloh. These trees may be memoralized by families
in honor of the family or individuals.
The railroad rail and chain
fence were also completed in 2009. The fence compliments the
2008 paved inner roads of the cemetery.
In 2008 Mary Linclon and "The Overbeck
Strings" came to the annual Shiloh Gathering. The Gathering
was held at 1:00 pm EDT on May 25, 2008 at the Meeting House. The
Overbeck Strings were led by Edna Peters Overbeck, who is 88.
Also there was Martha Overbeck Feldmeyer, Ann Overbeck Fierst,
and Darlene Borman Padgett. They specialize in American and British
Isles Folk, and Christian hymns. Mary Linclon shared her lifes
experiences in and around the White House in the Linclon years.
She also held a press conference afterwards. Charlene (Perkins) Schitter protrayed Mary Linclon..
The Shiloh Meeting House and Cemetery were
placed on the National Register of Historical Places on July 29,
1982. This placement qualifies Shiloh for protection by the
Department of the Interior. Shiloh is a well kept cemetery
with no restrictions on who may be buried there. Shiloh is
an on-going public cemetery with many plots available.
Much time has passed and many boards have presided, however, the
beautification of the cemetery and meeting house continues on a
timely basis. The present day board consists of: Ken Brosmer, Sandra
Bubenzer (Wisconsin), Steve DuCett, Richard Edwards, Leroy
Gehlhausen, Delbert Himsel, Jr. (President/Treasurer), Margaret
Henson, R.Thomas Kellams (Vice-President), Steve Lindauer, Cindy
Lindaur, Arnold Nelson, Janice Partenheimer, Mary Alice Parks (Secretary),
David Rudolph, and Rev. Don Smith. These are all volunteers
Webster says a volunteer is "A person
who chooses freely to serve in a capacity without pay".
The meeting house has the new (old)
look as it proudly sits surrounded by trees on Shiloh Road in Dubois
County. The directions to Shiloh are: Go east on Hwy. 56 out of
Ireland for approximately 1 1/4 miles to Shiloh Road (a blue state
historical marker along the highway precedes Shiloh Road), turn
right (south) on Shiloh Road, follow Shiloh Road for approximately
1 1/8 mile, you'll see the meeting house on the right. From
Jasper, go west on Hwy. 56 about 3 miles to the historical state
marker sign (which precedes Shiloh Road), turn left (south) follow
the same directions as above from there. The official 911 county
address for Shiloh is: 4060 W. Shiloh Road, Jasper, IN 47546.
The reason a lot of the Ireland and Ireland area addresses have
Jasper on them simply is: Ireland never did have a rural carrier-and
if you don't have a box number at the Ireland Post Office-you will
have a "Jasper" address. If you wish an Ireland
address, go see the present Ireland Postmaster.
Shiloh also has the destinction of
having one of the very few pet cemeteries in the state. Shiloh
has land on both sides of Shiloh Road. The pet cemetery is
by itself on a small knoll on the north side of Shiloh Road.
Shiloh Road divides the Shiloh Cemetery and the Shiloh Pet Cemetery.
There is a pet cemetery marker to designate the site.
George R. Wilson, famous Dubois County
historian, along with *Forrest R. Anderson wrote in 1929 that Shiloh
Cemetery was one of the best kept American cemeteries in southwestern
Indiana. At that time, in listing in 1929, he indicated that around
1000 persons were at rest at Shiloh, but it seemed not half the
graves had stone markers. Not to find a name in the list must
not be construed as evidence someone is not buried here. The
person may be, but the grave might be unmarked or, if marked, the
inscription could not be read at the time. The above is what
he wrote in his listing at that time. Forrest R. Anderson
worked with Mr. Wilson on many projects in Dubois County, including
finding and getting military markers for the Revolutionaly, War
of 1812, and Civil War Veterans.
The next listing was done in 1980 by Eugene
and Eleanor Gutzweiler, Natalie Baker and Lillian Doane. This listing
was included in what is known as the Shiloh book which also contained
various histories of Shiloh. This book was compiled in 1982.
The current listing of Shiloh Cemetery
was done in 2001-2002 with the two-fold purpose of updating the
listing and preparing same for a website. This listing was
done by Sharon Himsel, Mary Alice Parks and Jane Nelson. This list
is an updating of the earlier list done in 1980. George R.
Wilson's 1929 list was also used to verify that all graves are included
to the best of our knowledge. We also used records from
the Dubois County Courthouse and Jasper Courier newspaper clippings
to list persons believed to be buried here, but have no stone visible.
Only graves with markers are included in the numeration of the stones.
Dubois County GenWeb, from the
work of Charles Treadway, has taken pictures of 95% of the grave
stones at Shiloh. You may click on said link below to see
his excellent work.
There are many burial sites avaiable
at Shiloh, for details e-mail: email@example.com
This alphabetical listing of the
burials at Shiloh is as follows: Shiloh
Pioneer Cemetery Index
For a pictorial view as well as alphabet listing of Shiloh and other
Dubois County cemeteries click on: Dubois
County Gen Web go to Cemeteries and then to Shiloh
COOPER, DILLIN, GREEN, RITCHEY FAMILIES