Going back in time there
were 33 different schools that were the ancestors of the new 1990 Ireland
Elementary School, K-5. The names of these schools may be seen
on this website in the Madison and Boone Township Schools section. Pictures and location of the schools are displayed in the front hall of
the new school.
In a school board meeting in 1986 it was voted
to renevate 5th Street School and 10th Street School in Jasper in the
near future and immeadiately begin plans for a new Ireland Elementary
School. Time progressed and in June of 1989 the old Ireland High
School was torn down to make way for the new school. (Ireland
& Jasper had consolidated in 1970.) Some of the bricks from
the 1915 Ireland High School were used for the base of the clock tower
of the Ireland Elementary. The larger PUBLIC SCHOOL limestone
sign was used in the short north wall. The names of the original
bricklayers were found on the back of this sign. The Ireland High
School Gymnasium, which was built in 1949, survived and the new school
now surrounds it. The old school-bell now rests in the attractive
display case in the school with several other articles of the past and
present.By the 1990 school year, the new school was ready for the students.
There is also much history of the previous schools in the area that
eventually fed into Ireland Elementary this is located inside the main
entrance The school is a marvelous modern structure with the capacity
of 450+ students. Come visit Ireland Elementary and the friendly
folks that run the facility.
Please click on the Ireland Elementary School link
below for more current details.
Link to Ireland